The Dangers of Mold

Thursday, June 27th, 2019 @ 11:28am
  • 3

What might surprise you is that every home will have some mold producing germs and bacteria, which is natural. What homeowners need to do is keep these mold spores count low, and eliminate any conditions that would cause mold growth to thrive. Serious mold growth will impact your health.

What Causes Mold

Mold is natural and will grow wherever the spores have the right conditions. Some of these conditions where mold grows include: moisture, air, and a source of food.

What you might not realize is that a lot of building materials in home construction can act as food for mold, that’s if if you’re not addressing moisture issues. Some of these materials that can be exposure to mold include drywall, and carpeting found all over your home, can make prime targets for mold. Not dealing with this mold can cause aggressive respiratory issues such as bronchitis, asthma, and allergies, when mold is inhaled. More health risks include if the mold touches your skin, it can cause rashes and eczema.

How to Deal with Moisture Problems

One of the best ways to prevent mold growth in the first place is to remove the excess moisture from your home before anything else.

One of the most essential tips is proper venting in your indoor environments, especially in a area like your basement that’s traditionally damp most of the time. You need to consider the way your home was constructed because the basement may not have been insulated properly. What your basement needs to do is to be thermally broken to stop warm and cool air from creating condensation in the basement. Not doing so can create a problem for mold. If you’re finishing a basement,1 a closed cell spray-foam will stop the warm and cool air from meeting, this will in turn become a insulating power.

Also don’t neglect your building envelope – the exterior of your house needs to be properly sealed to keep water out. If you notice that you’re having major water problems in your basement, a common reason may be due to issues with your weeping tile or foundation. That could mean a big fix that involves excavating the foundation to waterproof.

Some of the smaller projects that you can undertake to ensure that your home is watertight include; checking the caulking around all doors and windows in your home.

And replace damaged sections before water can get in.

When you’re not doing a stop to the cause of water first, you will always be playing catch up against the mold moisture that will build up inside your home.

How to Deal with Mold

After dealing with the moisture problem because that needs to be dealt with first, then it’s time to deal with mold and deal with it for good.

If you see that the area inside your home has only minor mold issues, then you can probably handle the cleanup on your own – just keep in mind that you have the right tools. There are products at your local retail stores that will help you remove and kill mold.


It’s important to note that you should never clean mold with bleach. A common misconception but bleach only takes care of the surface mold. While bleach takes care of any surface mold but the spores will survive and allow the mold to grow back. You need a product that will actually crush mold below the surface to keep it from returning.

When cleaning the mold yourself, it’s very important to have the proper protective gear before starting the cleanup process. Mold inhalation is dangerous and can cause respiratory illnesses, therefore you’ll need a pair protective gear such as rubber gloves, a respirator, safety goggles, and disposable protective clothing.

Now if the mold problem is major and exceeds the surface area of 10 square feet, it must be professionally cleaned by a mold remediation company. You will need to hire a pro because they’re pros for a reason and will work to contain the spores to prevent cross-contamination, protect your HVAC system, and dispose of any major mold-ridden objects.

If you suspect any mold or moisture problems in your home, last thing you’ll want to do is not deal with it urgently because you could be compromising your family’s health. If you smell any strange odours in your home – trust your nose. Believe me, they could be the warning sign of something serious hiding behind your walls.

MIke Holmes Inspections®
Mike Holmes Inspections